RUSTY METAL PRIMER
Dulux recently purchased 400ltrs of FERONITE to prime rusty areas on an Oil Rig
It Converts, Inhibits & Seals rust in one application.
What is Feronite Rusty Metal Primer?
Feronite rusty metal primer is based on the successful Feronite tannin pre treatment for rusty surfaces. It is non-toxic non-flammable water based chemical comprising highly protective resins, tannin extracts and anti corrosive additives. When applied to rust, the tannin components react with the oxides of iron present to produce a stable black compound (chelated iron tannate) and this becomes incorporated in the resin layer as the coating dries. The result is a strongly bonded protective surface coating which includes the elements of the original rust converted to an inert passivated form with strong anti-corrosive characteristics.
Feronite Rusty Metal Primer is a new coating which chemically eliminates surface rust and primes the steel surface in one application. It does away with tedious and costly surface preparation such as blasting or grinding, followed by application of solvent based anti-corrosive priming paints. Feronite Rusty Metal Primer replaces all this and can be applied to damp surfaces so weather conditions are not a limitation.
Introduction to Feronite
How Feronite works
Feronite vs. Conventional Preparation
RAN Crane Stores Lighter Steel Deck Restoration Information Sheet5~ Feronite for Treatment of Recovered Marine Artefacts
Uses for Feronite Rusty Metal Primer
Feronite Rusty Metal Primer is for treatment and preparation of rusted steel or degraded galvanised surfaces starting to show signs of rusting:
- Steel structures of all kinds
- Roofs and Guttering
- Balustrades and wrought iron
- Boat fittings
- Trailer axles and springs and frames
- Water front fittings
FERONITE is a non-toxic, non-flammable liquid which when combined with rust produces a stable black compound (iron tennate) and chemical reaction of chelation form a strong matrix adhering to metal underneath. This coating can be covered with conventional paints and used in any environments.
FERONITE Rusty Metal Primer by itself is a semi permanent coating but offers these alternatives:
- FERONITE is a holding surface that can go without painting for up to 12 months.
- FERONITE is continual maintenance system where painting is prohibitive or not required.
- FERONITE is ideal for maintenance of profiles on metal stock lines.
- FERONITE as a permanent coating where traditional painting systems are applied over FERONITE treated metal.
Interesting facts about FERONITE:
- FERONITE is a water based chemical based on tannin from the bark on the mimosa tree
- FERONITE is brown in colour with an aromatic smell.
- Suitable for hot surfaces to 250C
- Coverage is 10 / 15 metres / litre per coat
- FERONITE can be applied in any atmospheric conditions on wet or dry surfaces
During the Australian National Maritime Museum ‘Wooden and Classic Boat Festival’ in October 2012 it was noticed that the lighthouse was displaying visible signs of corrosion where the riveted plates overlap. If this is not treated it will become a serious issue as the rust (ferrous oxide expands at 16 times the thickness of the original metal rusting) will gradually place significant pressure on the rivets and start to distort the steel plate at the lap joints. Degrading a valuable Maritime Heritage artefact.
FERONITE IT This trailer sits outside continuously and for many years was unloved as shown in the top four photos.…See the Project
- See the Project